We often take screenshots on Windows and Mac Devices to capture screens. Those captured files we usually save, copy and share with others and for different needs. You can take screenshots on your windows & Mac device in several ways. Generally, we use the keyboard shortcut (prt scr) button to take screenshots. Besides, windows and Mac operating systems added insider functions to take a screenshot quickly. Furthermore, we see a lot of third-party applications built to take a screenshot. The following article will cover how to take screenshot on Windows 10, 11 & Mac operating systems.
How to take Screenshot on PC
The process of how to screenshot on windows 10 and 11 is almost the same. There were a lot of ways you could take screenshots on windows. Now we are going to share below the best ways to take screenshots:
1. Use Keyboard Shortcut
The keyboard shortcut is the most common and easy way to take a screenshot on a windows device. You can try it yourself by following the steps:
Auto Capture The Screen:
- To save the screen on your device automatically, press the Windows + prt scr button. The screenshot will automatically saved in the Screenshots folder of your device. You can find the screenshot by navigating the following instructions – This PC > Pictures > Screenshots.
- You can also save the file by clicking the Ctrl+S button on your keyboard. The command will also automatically save the captured file on your device.
Copy Screenshot on Clipbroad:
- Press the Alt + Prt Scr button and the command will copy the screen by default.
- Open a document like Microsoft Word or Google Docs to paste the copied screenshot.
Use prt scr Button to Take Screenshot:
Before you can use this option, you have to install a thirdparty screenshot software. When you install the software, this option will set automatically.
- On your windows keyboard, you can see a button (prt scr) at the top of the right corner.
- Press the prt scr button from the keyboard. You can see the mouse cursor with the select area button.
- Press and hold the left button of your mouse and drag on the screen to select the area you want to capture and release the mouse button.
- After releasing the button, you can see some tools that are helpful in customizing the screenshot.
- You can easily edit the screen using arrow, line, pen, marker, color, etc. tools.
2. How to Use Snipping Tool
The snipping tool is a program included by Microsoft useful to snippet a screen. You can also edit, copy and save files with this tool. Below are the steps that you can follow to use the snipping tool:
- Go to the taskbar and type the snipping tool on the search bar.
- Click on the option to open the program.
- A new window will pop up on the screen. You can easily edit mode, delay time, ink color, etc.
- The new tab creates a new window to take a screenshot. Besides, you can take a snip at different modes free form, window, rectangular and full-screen snip.
- This tool allows you to customize the delay time from 0 to 5 sec.
- You can customize colors and custom settings from the options tab by checking and unchecking the boxes.
- To take a new snip, click on the new button, and after taking the snip, you can easily edit, save, copy, share, etc. by the snipping tool.
If you don’t know about snipping tool shortcut let me tell you we have a list of shortcut, check the image below:
3. Use Snip & Sketch Tool
Microsoft also includes Snip & Sketch tool; you can take a screenshot easily using the snip & sketch tool. If you want to take a new screenshot with the tools, follow the steps:
- Go to the start menu on the bottom left side of the windows.
- You will see a box below with text ( type here to search). Input here, snip & sketch text and click on the open button.
- You will get multiple shipping times from 0 to 10 sec. The snipping period will work according to the time set.
- You can see this new option by clicking the dropdown icon. Click the new button to take a new screenshot.
- You will get several snipping options including rectangular, window, full screen and freedom.
- Rectangular snips allow you to take a screenshot of any rectangular shape. You can easily drag it on the screen to take a rectangular snip.
- Full-screen snip helps you take a full window screen capture. If you click on the full-screen option, it will automatically take a screenshot of the entire screen.
- Using the freedom snip option, you can quickly take screenshots of any space on the screen, any shape.
- Window option is used to take any individual screen snipping. If you open many window and want screenshots for any specific window, you can use the window screenshots options.
Note: Snip & sketch tools have a shortcut key to quickly taking screenshots. You can easily take a screenshot with the snip & sketch tool using Windows + Shift + S shortcut key.
Click any of the snipping options as you require to take a screenshot. After taking the screenshot you can edit, copy and share the screenshot easily by using the tools.
4. Use Third Party Application
Many applications nowadays are built to help take screenshots on windows devices. The popular tools are Picpick, Lightshot, Movavi Screen Recorder, Snagit, ShareX, Windows Snipping Tool, Greenshot, Screenpresso, TinyTake, etc. All the applications are lightweight and easy to use.
How to take Screenshot with a Lightshot Tool
You can use any of the tools among them. Here we will show how you can take screenshots with the Lightshot tool. The light shot tool works both for windows and Mac.
- Go to the official site to download the light shot application. Click Here Visit Lightshot Website
- Click the download for windows option to start the download process.
- After completing the download process, click open to install the program.
- Now press the prt scr button to take a screenshot with the light shot tool.
- After pressing the shortcut key(prt scr) you can see the whole screen will capture by the tool. Now drag the mouse cursor to select the area you want to capture.
- You can take any action, edit, save, or copy from the side toolbar of the application.
How to take Screenshot on Mac
Mac also has some shortcut keys and supports many third-party tools to take a screenshot. You can easily take screenshots of the whole screen or any specific window portion. Here’s a more detailed explanation of the ways how to take a screenshot on a Mac:
Full-Screen Screenshot: If you want to take a full-screen screenshot, press the Command + Shift + 3 keys on your mac keyboard. This shortcut will take a screenshot of your entire screen and automatically save the file in PNG format.
Screenshot of a Selected Area: Sometimes, we need to take a screenshot of a specific area of a screen. If you only want to take a screenshot of a specific portion of your screen, press the Command + Shift + 4 keys on your keyboard. The Command will change your cursor to a crosshair which you can use to select the portion of the screen that you want to capture. You can drag on the screen area that you want to capture. To take and save the screenshot, automatically release the mouse button.
Screenshot of a Specific Window: This feature helps take screenshots of a specific window on Mac OS. It would help if you press the Command + Shift + 4 keys on your keyboard and then press the Spacebar to change your cursor to a camera icon. This camera icon helps you select the window that you want to capture. Move the camera icon over the window you want to capture. If you click the window, a screenshot of the window will be taken automatically. The screenshot file will be saved to the desktop.
How to Screenshot on MAC using a Tool
You can also use many third-party tools like TechSmith Capture to take screenshots alongside mac shortcuts. To take a screenshot with the tool:
- First, Download and open the tool on your Mac device.
- A Capture dialogue box will appear on the screen. Click the Capture button or press the Command+Shift+1 button on your Mac keyboard.
- Click the Image Capture button and you will see a crosshair on the screen. Then drag on the screen to select the area you want to capture.
- Then click on the image capture button from the left side. You will see a preview of the captured image. You can edit from yourself by changing color, highlighting, adding shape, zooming in/out, copying, saving, deleting, sharing, etc.
- If you want to save the file, click on the save button to upload the image and click to upload the screencast to save it on the selected destination.
- Press the copy button on the clipboard and paste it to other locations and documents.
- You can also permanently delete the content by pressing the delete button.
You can take screenshots on Windows and Mac devices with inbuilt shortcut keys and third-party tools. Windows 10 and Windows 11 users can follow the same process to take screenshots. Mac users have to follow different shortcut keys than Windows users. Both operating systems have some free third-party tools to help take screenshots. Hopefully, you have learned how to take screenshots on both Mac and Windows.
More From us: